You know what’s worse than having one-word conversations with your teen? That’s right, nothing. It’s frustrating, it’s boring (for both parties), and you’re probably down-right over it! Well, allow us to relieve a bit of that frustration today with some fun conversation starters.
In April we gave you 50 dinner conversation starters, and today we’re coming back with 50 fresh questions to ask your teens. Enjoy, and get talkin’!
- What do you think about the new show Never Have I Ever? Do you think Devi accurately represents teens today? (P.S. Click here to learn everything you need to know about the show!)
- Why do you think everyone went crazy over Adele’s weight loss? What do you think it says about body positivity? (P.S. Click here for all the details on what everyone’s saying about it.)
- What’s your favorite show right now? Can we watch an episode together?
- What do you think about the “Karen” meme? (Read this first to get acquainted with “Karen” if you’re not yet familiar.)
- Have you or your friends made a “yearbook” on Instagram? Why do you think people are doing that?
- Have you heard Kehlani’s new album It Was Good Until It Wasn’t? What did you think about it?
- Have you heard Drake’s new album Dark Lane Demo Tapes (language)? What did you think about it?
- Have you heard Lil Tjay's song “Zoo York” (language)? What do you think about it?
- Have you heard any deepfake music? People are saying it’s so good, it might actually become illegal. What are your thoughts on it?
- Are there any movies you’ve been wanting to watch? Can we watch it together?
- Taylor Swift is having her “City of Lover” special on May 17. Are you planning on watching that? (Find all the details on that here!)
- Katy Perry is releasing a new single on May 15. What do you think of her music?
- Did you hear what Elon Musk named his baby? (He named the baby X Æ A-12...yeah, we’re as confused as you are!) What are your thoughts on it?
- Have you seen/heard of Becoming? (It’s a new Netflix documentary on Michelle Obama.) Is that something you’d want to watch together?
- Have you seen the “can’t wait to walk down the aisle” memes? Which one is your favorite?
- Do you or your friends use Hoop? Why did you decide to join the app?
- What’s your favorite TikTok trend right now?
- What’s your favorite dance on TikTok? (Extra points if you can get them to demonstrate.)
- Have you heard of getting “zumped” (or Housepumped or Facetumped)? What do you think of people “zumping”?
- Have you seen the murder hornet memes? Do you think these hornets are a real threat that people are making light of?
Health and wellness
- We’ve been in quarantine for quite a while now, how have you been holding up?
- Read this list of digital well-being guidelines first, then ask your teen if any of the suggestions listed might be helpful for them.
- How do you think your screen time has changed since quarantine began?
- How has that screen time (whether it’s increased or decreased) affected you?
- How have your relationships with friends, family, significant other, etc. changed? If they’ve remained the same, how have you been able to spend quality time with those people?
- How are you doing in terms of mental health?
- What do you think are good ways to cope with mental health issues?
- What do you need in order to cope well with the things you experience?
- Is there any way we can help you to stay mentally healthy during this time?
- What is one thing that brings you joy? (This can be a hobby, certain music, getting outside, anything! You might share something that brings you joy first, then let your teen answer.)
Food, glorious food
- If you could only eat one kind of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What are your top 5 favorite meals?
- What snacks can you absolutely not live without?
- Are there any baked goods or meals you’d like to make this week? Make them!
- What’s an unpopular food opinion you have? (I.e. everyone seems to love sushi, but you hate it.)
- Would you rather eat out at restaurants for free for the rest of your life, or have a free personal gourmet chef for the rest of your life?
- What do you think is the most disgusting food in the world?
- What would be harder to live without: potatoes or bread?
- What was the best meal of your life?
- What was the worst meal of your life?
Learn about your teen
- What are you passionate about?
- What’s something you’d really like to accomplish?
- What are your fears, anxieties, or questions about the upcoming school year?
- What challenges you?
- What inspires you?
- When was a time someone gave you a really great encouragement?
- What’s one thing you really like about yourself? (They may feel weird answering this at first, but it’s always a good idea to encourage positive self-awareness in our kids. Tell them one thing you admire in them, too!)
- When was a time you had to overcome a fear?
- What’s one of the best memories you have with your friends?
- What’s one hope you have for your future?
Starting conversations with teens is not always an easy task! But we hope these 50 questions will inspire fresh, fun, and meaningful conversations in your family. Let us know in the comments below if your family used any of them, and if you’ve got any fun questions of your own! We’d love to hear from you.