Ah, dinner time. A time when our family is brought together to enjoy good food and wrap up another day. This is the perfect time to debrief each other on the events of the day and establish connection with your kids. But how many times have we faced the awkward clinking of forks on plates, struggling to spark any conversation at all? Too many times!
Getting your kid to open up to you after a long, tiring day is a struggle most parents know all too well. But half the battle is finding topics that actually interest your kid—cue Axis! Allow us to help you fight the silence with these dinner conversation starters for your family.
We all go through spiritual highs and lows no matter our age and life experiences. As your kid grows, they’ll go through spiritual roller coasters, and may need encouragement. Take some time to check in with your kid and their spiritual life.
- How has your faith life been affected this year? Has it been strengthened or weakened? Why?
- Is there a verse that you’ve been encouraged by lately? If so, what?
- How would you describe your spiritual life right now?
- In what ways can we as a family strengthen our relationship with God?
- What has challenged you spiritually this year? Do you still feel the weight of this challenge? If so, how can I help you through it?
- What is your favorite way to worship? (I.e. through art, nature, music, dance, etc.)
- Have you heard a sermon/message recently that really struck you? What stood out to you?
- Is there anything about my beliefs that you disagree with? Why?
Health and well-being
With issues like COVID isolation and political tension looming over us, mental health check-ins are vital. Make sure your kid is doing well with these questions.
- How have you been handling this new school year?
- Is there anything I can do to help you be more successful?
- Do you feel like your friendships have changed at all? How?
- What do you feel is the biggest challenge you’re facing right now? How can I help you to conquer that?
- Do you ever feel like you need someone to talk to, but don’t have anyone? How can I be that person for you?
- In what ways do you feel most supported by me? I.e. a hug, words of encouragement, bringing you little surprises like a drink from Starbucks, etc.
- Do you ever feel shut down by me? How?
- Is anything worrying you?
- Is there anything making you excited or happy right now?
- How is your physical health?
- How do you feel about the COVID situation? In what ways do you cope with the craziness of everything?
- How do you feel about your school and social life? What do you feel like you’re missing out on because of COVID?
- What can we do as a family to better our physical and mental health in a fun way?
Music is a huge way for Gen Z to express themselves and de-stress. Take time to learn your kid’s music preferences and music’s role in their mental health!
- What songs/artists have you been listening to lately?
- Have you listened to Billie Eilish’s new song “Therefore I Am”? If so, did you like it?
- Are you looking forward to any new music coming out soon? If so, which ones?
- Have you heard Ariana Grande’s “Positions?” What did you think of it?
- What’s your favorite song on TikTok right now? Is there a trend going along with that one? What is it?
- What do you think makes a song worth listening to? The lyrics, the tune, the style, the beat?
- When do you listen to music the most? Why?
- Do you listen to certain genres of music for different reasons (when you’re angry, sad, or stressed) or stick to one genre always?
Our kids’ interests are constantly evolving! Touch base with your kid and see what’s been preoccupying their minds and free time lately.
- What is your favorite thing to do in your free time?
- What’s something you’ve wanted to do, but haven’t had time for?
- Are there any clubs you’d like to join? And if your family is schooling from home this year: Are there any clubs you’re interested in joining next year when school is back in person?
- Do you consider yourself a creative person? If so, what’s your favorite way to express yourself creatively?
- Have you read any books recently? Is there a book that you’re interested in reading?
If you like getting into deep conversations about the world with all its problems and beauties, use these questions as a way to get thinking!
- What do you think about the election’s result? Why?
- What is something positive that has come from this crazy year?
- How can we improve our quality of life, even with COVID restrictions?
- What is something you’ve been lacking given the COVID restrictions? What can we do to improve this?
- How can we serve others in a safe way during the pandemic?
It’s not easy to stay in-the-know with trends! Use these questions to get an update on what’s happening in pop culture and discover what your kid thinks of them.
- Have you seen The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix?
- Are you looking forward to any show or movie releases? If so, which ones?
- Have you heard of the power of manifestation? Do you think there’s any truth to this? What power do our words have?
- Twitter just added their version of “stories.” Do you think you’d use this? Are stories a useful tool on Twitter, or are they just copying every other social media platform? Why or why not?
- Remember when banning TikTok was a thing? Why do you think that hasn’t happened yet? Will TikTok ever get banned, or is it untouchable?
- What’s your favorite trend on TikTok right now?
- Have you seen the “Oh no” sound trend on TikTok? What’s been your favorite of those videos?
- Seems everyone got into the Christmas spirit early this year, why do you think that is?
- Do any of your friends have a PS5? What’s new about the new playstation?
- Are there any new video games you’re looking forward to?
- What do you think about conspiracy theories? Are there any theories that you believe could be true? Why or why not?